Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I lied

Ugh, I feel icky. I had another teachable moment tonight with my W. It wasn't nearly as easy for me as yesterdays was. While I was downstairs collecting jammies for my kiddos, W and Hubby had a run in that involved lying. W was given his consequence and when I returned upstairs I was informed of the incident. I asked W if he had made things right with Dad. The answer was no so I prompted him to go apologize to his Daddy for lying. Will did say sorry but he didn't understand why he said sorry. In comes teachable moment (I'm not this original, I saw it on a tv show and pirated it). I pulled W up to me and said, "After we get your brothers to bed I'm going to take you to the movies." He started to get excited but realized something was up when I didn't give him a high 5 when he asked for it. "What's up, Mom?" I looked him dead in the eye and said, "I lied. We are not going to the movies honey, I lied." He started to cry. Who wouldn't? I asked him how he felt when mom lied to him and he let me know that his feelings were really hurt. BINGO! That's how Mom and Dad feel when he lies to us, our feelings are hurt. We want to trust that what our son says is the truth but when he lies often to get out of trouble, it is difficult to trust him. Not trusting him hurts our hearts. I think it really sunk in. He went over and told Dad that he was sorry for telling a lie and sorry for hurting Dad's feelings. I also apologized for lying and hurting W's feelings. He saw what it is like to be lied to, hurt by those lies and then apologized to. When I was tucking him in bed he told me that he was still a little sad. Yeah, lies hurt us and the hurt doesn't always go away as quickly as the apology is over. So we went to bed discussing what the Bible says about lying, Ps 34:12-14 " Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. " My son wasn't the only one to cry tonight, his Mama did too.

No comments: