Tuesday, June 24, 2014

we're home from surgery

My son is my hero. The MRI showed that only a small sliver of the femural head was left. While the surgeon told us how serious the condition of the bone was he simultaneously informed us that the tiny sliver left was the most important piece of the bone. As we spent last week prepping for surgery, I held tightly to that bit of good news.

Thursday we headed to Children's for surgery. I cannot begin to tell you the level of impressed we were with the care given to our boy. We were both with him when he fell asleep before surgery, holding his hand, whispering encouragement in his ear.

Surgery prep (IV, catheter, etc) and surgery lasted just under 4 hours. It went well and a touch quicker than planned. Friday morning they turned off his epidural and began oral pain medication. PT came and helped him get to his wheelchair and we took a small field trip to the vending machine and the gift shop.

 Later that evening he hit a pain crisis. I've never heard my little boy scream like that and I pray that I will never hear it again. I asked the nurse to call our surgeon who I knew was still in the hospital and the on call doctor for the weekend. Dr N came in quickly and ordered IV pain medication and an ice pack. He also in a moment of over the top bedside manner, put his hand on my shoulder and assured me that my boy would be ok and that I was doing a good job.

The pain was finally managed and he fell asleep around 1:30 in the morning. JJ came home Saturday evening. The transfer from hospital bed to wheelchair to car, driving home, and then transferring from car to wheelchair to house to couch was very painful and draining for us all. I'm so thankful for the hot meal I came home to because I was in no shape to think about dinner by the time we got home.

He's doing great. He's my hero. I don't think I could have handled this as well as he has. Yesterday we decided to try a small field trip and took him in the wheelchair to Dollar Tree. Today we field tripped to 7-11 for Slurpees. We are limited to trips by foot for a time as riding in the car puts his hip at an angle that he's not allowed to do yet.

He is such a trooper and I am amazed by his strength. He is in great spirits. I'm tired but good. I look forward to sleeping in my own bed again. Right now JJ and I are sleeping on the L shaped couch so that I'm next to him for middle of the night medicines and bathroom help.

I'm grateful for time off work to take care of my baby for a couple of weeks. I'm grateful for the amazing support we have received from friends and family near and far. I'm grateful for meals that have been provided and will continue until I go back to work. I'm grateful that my boy is doing so well.  

No comments: