Sunday, June 14, 2009

mistakes vs. miracles

I believe fully in the sanctity of life. I believe that God is the author of life and that He in His infinite wisdom does not make mistakes! An unplanned child is not always an unwanted child. An unplanned child is not a mistake. God does not make mistakes, He makes miracles. There have been many amazing people who were once thought to be "mistakes." One of them is very special to me. My Grandma believed my dad to be a mistake. Those of you who know my dad know that nothing could be further from the truth. My dad is an amazing man who would go out of his way to help anyone, he is kind and loving and has influenced many many people. He is not famous, not a pro athlete, not a movie star, not a politician, not even particularly wealthy. Does that make him less valuable? Never! I still cannot step into his church without hearing at least once, "Oh, you're Dad's daughter!" Ask the people who he has had visions of and interceded for tirelessly until their situation changed, if he was a mistake or a miracle. Ask the men who he regularly meets with to pray, or the people who he has worked with over the years, his employers, his neighbors, his friends and his daughter, if we think he is less important or less valuable because he was a "mistake." A resounding no will be everyones answer. Though at the time his mom didn't appreciate that he was a miracle, that didn't change the fact that he was and is created in the image of God. Had abortion been legal when my grandmother was pregnant, I would not be here today. I'm kinda tired of hearing how everyone would get abortions on demand whether it were legal or not. I'm not downplaying the women who did indeed have illegal abortions and had serious medical problems and even death. I know it happened. What so many refuse to acknowledge though is that it still happens. I knew someone who had more than one "back ally abortion" because she was afraid that if she went to the doctor, her parents would find out. What about though, all the women like my grandma who didn't have an abortion because it wasn't legal? I have a few friends who have had abortions and I know in each of their cases that had it been illegal, they would not have gone that road. I know that I will offend some of you with this post and though my intentions are not to offend, I don't apologize for my stand. As the daughter of a man who was considered a mistake and is the farthest thing from a mistake that I have ever known, I can say with conviction and passion that I do not believe that God makes mistakes, only miracles. Ps 127:3 "Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. " Notice that it doesn't give conditions. It's not children who are of wealthy families, or born of ideal circumstances, or even planned and desired children that are a gift from the Lord; it is all children! Yes, even the ones conceived from rape and incest, even the ones whose parents don't know how they will feed another mouth, even the ones who die in utero/early in infancy/childhood, even the ones conceived in adultery, even the ones who's parents think the child is a mistake, they are all gifts from the Lord, blessings and miracles. I am tired of maternal rights that take away the child's right. Remember this one, I'm sure you will,
“We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty,and the pursuit of happiness."These words are from our Declaration of Independence. These words say that in this country every person is given an unalienable right to life. I have carried 3 children. I have felt life move within me. I saw a heart beat, brain and spine via ultrasound at the tender age of 5 1/2 wks gestation. Don't tell me that it isn't a life, I know better. Or shall we look at the fact that all are created equal. If that is truth, then please explain why a woman's "reproductive rights" supersede the child's right to life. I am PRO-LIFE and not ashamed of that fact. I am however tired of being referred to as anti-choice when I make my stand that each and every life has value. I don't condemn my friends who chose abortion. I know that it is between them and God and not my place nor my desire to bring judgement. I love them the same as I did before their choice. I have no interest in hate mongering, in shooting abortion providers, or in condemning those who have experienced the fear and uncertainty of unplanned pregnancy and made a choice based on that fear. I believe in a Jesus who forgave prostitutes and tax collectors. I believe in a Jesus who's "loving kindness draws us to repentance," not in a God who angrily awaits the day when He can give us "what for" for our mistakes. I do believe that abortion is murder and therefore a sin but here is something else I believe. I believe that when I gossip and tear down someone else, that is also a sin. What about hate? 1 John 3:15
"Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer." I'm not one who believes that I am a better person because I believe in life. I know that I sin and fall short of the glory of God, daily. My sins are no different in the eyes of God and therefore I will not make them different in my eyes. I will continue to fight for the unborn. I will continue to be passionate about my belief that God is the author of all life. But that doesn't make me "anti-choice" it makes me "pro-life."

1 comment:

JamiLynnKastner said...

I have an oopsie baby... Elijah. We were NOT planning on having three children in under four years, but God had other plans. Quite frequently, I will pull him into my arms and whisper into his ear, "You're the BEST surprise God ever gave me."