Monday, January 3, 2011

goals

I have for many years refused to make New Year's resolutions.  I have never kept a resolution in my life and then I spend months (and in some cases years) beating myself up for failing.  A few years back though I decided to have goals for my year.  It sounds less intimidating than to resolve to do something, anyway.  So some of my goals for 2011........

~keep up with my "Attitude of Gratitude" journal that I started and try to remember to write in it daily.  During November everyone was talking about what they were thankful for.  I realized then that I have so much to be thankful for that 30 days was just not enough to keep track of it.  The Bible says to give thanks in everything so I started a new journal specifically for remembering to be thankful for the many blessings I have been given. Today I am grateful that for the first time in weeks, all 3 kids were in bed before 8pm and no one came out of the bedroom at all tonight!  It doesn't have to be extravagant for me to thank God for it!

~parent intentionally.  Sounds basic but I find that too often I parent based on what is going on at the moment rather than planning ahead and parenting with purpose.

~learn more about the Holy Spirit and His role in our daily Christian lives.

~try to put into place the boundaries that I know I need to place and enforce but have struggled with actually doing for years.

~read more.  More of the Word, more to learn, and even more to just relax and enjoy.  I miss reading, it really does bring me great joy!

~learn to cook more than my few meals I always make.  I have the tools, new pressure cooker, new family skillet, crockpot and a freezer full of meat.  Now to make a new meal.......

~make daily time for the love of my life that he knows he is still my best friend and my lover.  There is more to marriage than rearing children together and I love the times we have to just talk.  We are pretty good at communicating but I'm also pretty good at letting the kids interrupt.  I am trying to start a "if there isn't blood or danger it can wait 5 minutes" policy to daily let my love know he is the center of my world for at least 10 min.

~and though I know there are probably more, I will say the most important and call it good for now.  I want to grow closer to God that my life will reflect Him.  I want to glorify Him and to allow Him to continue His work of purifying me and making me holy.  I want to trust Him when I can't see/hear Him.  I want others to see His redemption in my life.

No comments: