Friday, August 18, 2017

Georgie Porgie

I recently read Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. I loved the book.  I laughed until I cried at some points in the book. I nodded my head in agreement at several points. In one of my favorite chapters Jenny describes going into see her therapist and talking about extremely random things that were on her mind. That chapter had me laughing at her thoughts and reminiscing about my own.

You see, I totally get it. Several years ago I walked into my therapist's office. I sat on her couch preoccupied and annoyed as she asked, "So what's on your mind today." I tried to tell her what was on my mind wasn't important but she persisted. So I told her exactly what I was thinking.

"You want to know what I'm thinking about? Well, I'm thinking that Georgie Porgie was a jerk." Her head cocked to the side. I knew I had her attention when she said, "Georgie Porgie? Ooooookkkaaaayy?" I proceeded, "You know from the nursery rhyme?
Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie
Kissed the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away. "

"I think Georgie Porgie was a bully and a coward. I have been kissed when I didn't want to be and made to cry. He's a bully. And then when the boys who could kick his ass came out, Georgie ran away. What a horrible story to teach our kids!"

I may or may not have spent the rest of the session discussing the disturbing trend in children's classic nursery rhymes. 

No comments: